Taking proper care of your oral health is necessary if you want healthy gums and teeth. A busy lifestyle and hectic schedules make it difficult for most people nowadays to invest both time or effort in dental care. Here at TRU Dentistry, we always tell the patients about the importance of maintaining brushing, flossing, and using mouthwash. Imparting knowledge related to oral health and the ways to prevent dental problems is one of our primary lookouts. Keeping this in mind, the best Austin dentist has come up with the most effective oral care tips. In case you have any queries regarding this topic, going through this blog can be of immense help.
What are the most effective oral care tips?
Incorporate the steps mentioned below in your daily life to have a clean and healthy smile.
- Brush your teeth – Brushing is a “must” thing to do if you want to reduce the chances of suffering from dental problems. Are you wondering why? Well, brushing helps to remove the food particles stuck in between your teeth or along the gum line after having a meal. Leaving these particles to deposit is considered to be the primary reason behind plaque buildup. Plaque is a colorless film-like substance that consists of harmful bacteria. Not removing the plaque can lead to the formation of a hardened layer which is called tartar. You need to know that once the tartar is formed, it can only be removed by a dental hygiene professional. Some of the important things to consider while brushing are – Get a toothbrush that perfectly fits inside your mouth and has softer bristles. Brushing your teeth with hard bristles can damage the outermost layer of your tooth enamel and initiate the process of tooth decay. Brushing at least twice a day is recommended. You should maintain a time gap of 30 minutes to 1 hour between having food and brushing for better results. If you are suffering from teeth sensitivity, do use a toothpaste that is specifically made for sensitive teeth.
- Floss your teeth – Flossing is equally important as brushing your teeth. To sum it up in one line, a piece of floss is a thread that helps to clean the areas which cannot be reached by a toothbrush. People often remain confused about the proper way to floss. Consult your dentist if you have any such questions. It is advisable to floss before brushing for the best outcome. Not flossing on a daily basis can cause gum problems such as periodontitis.
- Use a mouthwash – Rinsing your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash can help you fight against the harmful bacteria present in your mouth. There are different types of mouthwashes available in the market. You should always pick the one that suits your particular oral needs.
- Eat healthily – You should definitely avoid or cut down on the intake of sugary food items. The reason behind it is pretty simple. Your mouth contains harmful bacteria that thrive in the presence of sugar. On the other hand, try to include more fruits and vegetables in your daily diet.
- Drink water – Drinking an adequate amount of water is necessary for your oral health. Less consumption of water causes dehydration which in turn affects the flow of saliva into your mouth. Now, the saliva has two major functions – to wash away the food particles stuck in between your teeth and to also fight against the harmful bacteria. So, less saliva in your mouth creates an ideal circumstance for the growth of bacteria and as a result, cause dental problems.
- Go for regular dental checkups – Visiting your dentist is an important part of dental care. Undergoing dental checkups increases the chance of any sort of dental issue getting diagnosed at an early stage. If you are looking for the best quality preventive or general dentistry services in Austin, TX, get in touch with TRU Dentistry.
We hope that this blog has helped you find out about effective oral care tips. Execute the required steps and lead a healthy and pain-free life.