What Is Crown Lengthening Treatment?
Do you have the impression that something is missing from your smile? Are you bothered by your gummy smile or mismatched gum lines? Fortunately, there is a wide range of cosmetic dentistry treatment options that can solve your problem. Crown lengthening is one such treatment. But what does this surgical procedure entail? This procedure entails the contouring of extra gum and bone tissue to reveal the natural tooth above the gum line.
This aids the gums in wrapping around the tooth and keeping bacteria at bay. This method also makes it possible for a crown to fit snugly over a tooth. Crown lengthening can be done for both cosmetic and medical reasons. Local anesthetic is employed, and the surgery is performed as an outpatient, allowing the patient to return home afterward.
Who Can Get This Treatment?
Here are the factors that will be assessed by your periodontist to ensure that you are the right candidate for crown lengthening treatment:
- Firstly, if your tooth is fractured, broken, or damaged and you need a crown, crown lengthening may be an alternative for you.
- Secondly, crown lengthening can help you get rid of that gummy smile if you’ve realized that your gums are protruding and you’d like to see more of your natural teeth.
- Thirdly, you may be the right candidate for this treatment if you have cosmetic concerns with the size of your teeth or if you are simply unhappy with your smile.
The Perks of Undergoing This Procedure
Here are the perks of the crown lengthening procedure:
- For Tooth Extraction: Crown Lengthening helps in facilitating the safest, quickest, and easiest extraction process, by removing the excess gum tissue around the tooth.
- To Preserve A Natural Tooth: If a natural crown has fractured but the tooth can still be preserved, the extra gum tissue around the tooth may need to be removed to work on it and place a dental crown.
- Minimize The Risk of Tooth Decay: Normal gums are less likely to produce oral health concerns, such as tooth decay. Therefore, eliminating excess gum tissue prevents plaque and tartar from accumulating there and reduces the risk of periodontal diseases or tooth decay.
- To Enhance The Beauty of Your Smile: A crown lengthening procedure may balance out an uneven gum line or lower the entire thing if it is too high and concealing your sparkling whites.
- Provide Support For A Crown or A Dental Filling: The gum line must be established at the right level for the gums to effectively adhere to a dental crown, implant, or bridge. So, this treatment offers support and stability to hold the dental filling or a crown in place.
Lastly, we hope that our blog has helped you in getting a considerable amount of insight into the benefits of crown lengthening treatment. If you need the best cosmetic dentistry in Austin, TX, then please visit TRU Dentistry. We offer a comprehensive range of services for you and your family.